Wasp Hornet & Bee Stings
The main issue people have with a wasp or bee is their potential to sting.
A wasp or hornet not only uses it’s sting in defence but also to kill prey, a bee only stings as a last resort as she will die after the sting.
Although a Hornet sting is painful, it is not usually dangerous, as the amount of venom injected is usually very small, and there is little difference in potency between a wasp and hornet sting.
Some people can have a bad reaction after being stung by a hornet, wasp, bee or any other stinging insect.
A severe reaction in people can cause anaphylactic shock which can prove fatal.
Being stung in the mouth or on neck by a wasp, hornet or bee can be serious, as it may cause the lining of the throat and mouth to become very swollen, making it difficult to breath.
Most stings from a wasp, bee, hornet etc. can be treated with cold poultices, and some antihistamine creams.
If the victim appears pale and complains of feeling unwell or dizzy then it is advisable that you seek immediate medical assistance.
Although quite different in nature bee and wasp stings generally cause the same feeling of discomfort and swelling.
A honey bee will only sting once, as the action of stinging will end its life. A wasp on the other hand can sting multiple times and will survive the experience. Upon stinging both create a pheromone scent which activates others into attacking and stinging so if close to a nest a single sting can result in multiple stings rapidly.
Honey Bee stings
If a honey bee stings the barbs on the needle get caught in our skin and the needle along with the venom sac are ripped away from the bees abdomen. If the stinger is left there, venom continues to pump into the skin for a few minutes. If you pinch the venom sac or squeeze it in anyway this will force more venom into your skin. If you get stung by a honey bee, firstly get your nail under the venom sac and ease the needle out of your skin with a scraping action.To ease the discomfort it is recommended that you cool the area of the sting with cold water or an ice pack, apply an antihistamine sting cream, cover it with a plaster to prevent you scratching at it (so increasing the swelling and the possibility of an infection). Swelling should normally ease within 24 to 36 hours.
Anaphylactic Shock is an antibody-antigen reaction which can produce a state of profound collapse.
Vaccines, antibiotics, or insect stings can also cause anaphylactic shock.
This is an extremely rare reaction to a bee or wasp sting and can be life threatening. Less than one in 10,000 of the population might ever suffer from this as a result of a sting. People only know when they have become susceptible to anaphylactic shock once they have suffered it.
Just because you have been stung in the past and not suffered an anaphylactic reaction does not mean you won’t on the next occasion.
When you are stung on the first occasion by either a wasp or a bee you will suffer the usual discomfort including localised swelling. However a sufferer of anaphylaxis may have an extreme reaction the next time they are stung. It can take a minimum of two separate stinging experiences for this anaphylactic response to occur.
The symptoms of anaphylactic shock include;
A narrowing of the airways
Difficulty in swallowing
Leaking and swelling blood vessels which can sometimes burst.
An increase in the heart rate
Lowered blood pressure causing feelings of fatigue
A sense of doom
Collapse and unconsciousness
Anyone experiencing any of the above symptoms should seek medical assistance immediately.
Some beekeepers carry with them a lifesaving Epipen or Anapen to provide adrenaline; but this can only be used on the person it has been prescribed to.
Place an ice pack on the area to help reduce swelling.
If in any doubt, always seek medical attention.
We offer a fast, effective service for wasp control and wasp nest removal at a fixed price.
We cover all aspects of wasp problems for domestic properties, gardens and commercial properties and spaces.
We are RSPH (Royal Society Protection of Health) qualified and fully insured, for all aspects of pest control.
We remove bee swarms the same day that you phone, often at no cost to you, dependent upon your location and accessibility.
Our standard charge to treat a Wasp or Hornet nest starts at £45.99.
No hidden extra charges.
Any secondary nests identified on your property at the time of treatment are charged at an additional £14.99 per nest.
All work is guaranteed.
We work WEEKENDS !!! Don’t worry, just give us a call and we will come straight out.
To get rid of your wasps or bee swarms give us a call on 02920 552243.
We will get to you today!!
For further information please follow one of these pages: